Frequently Asked Questions
- When is the Commencement ceremony?
- Where is the Commencement ceremony?
- When do guests need to be in their seats?
Saturday (Senior Convocation) Sunday (Commencement)
- Why do guests need to be seated by 9:00-9:30am if the Commencement Ceremony begins at 11:00am?
The student procession arrives at Schoellkopf at 10:00am, so be watching for your graduate! more
- Where do students go on Commencement morning?
Students assemble on the Arts Quad at 9:15am, wearing cap & gown. more
- Do families go to the Arts Quad or to Schoellkopf Stadium?
Families go to Schoellkopf Stadium. Students go to Arts Quad. more
- How & when do students arrive at Schoellkopf Stadium?
On the Arts Quad, students will assemble with their college and line up for the procession. The procession leaves the Arts Quad at 9:40am, travels through campus, and arrives at Schoellkopf at 10:00am. Once in Schoellkopf, the procession & seating takes about 45 minutes. more
- Do graduates cross stage at Commencement?
- Do graduates receive diplomas on Commencement Weekend?
No, diplomas are mailed to graduates.
- Where can I watch the webcast of Commencement?
- What is my weekend itinerary (so that I may book my flights and hotel)?
Because colleges/departments plan their own events, not every student/family will have the same schedule. Therefore, there is no one-size-fits-all itinerary that we can post. However, here is some helpful information to help you to prepare your own schedule:
- Plan to attend:
- Commencement - Sunday morning
- College/department events - Sunday afternoon
- College/department events (if any) on Friday, Saturday, or Sunday
- May wish to attend, if interested:
- Senior Convocation - Saturday
- University Reception - Saturday
- Concerts, etc.
- Campus activities of interest:
- Plantations, canoeing, rock climbing, museum, etc.
- Where can I find a hotel?
- Can I stay at the on-campus Statler Hotel?
No, it is reserved for trustees and other dignitaries. See Travel & Lodging page for other options.
Dorms, Disability Housing
- How do I reserve residence halls (dorms) for Commencement weekend?
- What if it rains?
We will still be outside in Schoellkopf Stadium, so come prepared for weather.
- What if there are dangerous weather conditions?
- When will a decision be made re Severe Weather?
The decision will be made by 8:00am Commencement morning. more
- How will Severe Weather announcements be made?
We will broadcast information in various ways. more
- Do we need tickets?
No. There are no tickets issued for the outdoor university ceremony at Schoellkopf Stadium, nor is there a limit to the number of guests per student.
- What if severe weather is predicted for Commencement morning?
We have a severe weather plan.
Cap & Gown
- How do I order my cap & gown?
Order online by the posted deadline. more
- Is there a charge for my cap & gown?
See Cap & Gown page for details.
- Where do I pick up my cap and gown?
See Cap & Gown page for pick-up dates, times, locations.
- What if I missed the deadline to order my cap & gown online?
Go to cap & gown pick-up location to order in person. Take cash for late fee. more
- Where do I return my cap & gown?
Graduates must return cap & gown at any drop-off location before leaving campus Sunday afternoon. more
- May I keep my tassel?
Yes, the tassel is yours to keep. more
- I'm a PhD student who wishes to purchase regalia to keep.
You may purchase your own doctorate regalia online. more
- Do I wear my cap & gown to Senior Convocation (Saturday)?
No. Senior Convocation is not a cap & gown event.
- Although we do not rent wheelchairs at the university, we do have a list of a few local companies that do:
Our recommendation: Rent a wheelchair or transport chair at home to bring to Ithaca with you. You can use it at airports during your travel, as well as on campus. If you do rent one in Ithaca, be sure to ask rental company about pick-up and return dates. Because it is Memorial Weekend, you may have to pick it up on Friday and won't be able to return it until Tuesday if the rental place is closed for the holiday.
- Note: Guests with wheelchairs need to apply for Option 1 (yellow) accessible parking & seating at the stadium.
- Honors are awarded by colleges/departments, not by the Commencement Office.
- I need a weekend schedule to plan my weekend.
- What are all the events happening on campus?
- Can I participate in Commencement if I am not graduating until a later date?
Yes. Read & follow the Walking Early instructions.
- How do I purchase announcements?
- Are there special arrangements for mobility-impaired or hearing-impaired guests?
- Where do I park?
- Where do I get to my diploma?
- Is there a video of the ceremony?
- Questions about Senior Days?
- How do I obtain a tourist visa for friends & family to attend Commencement?
- What is the PhD Hooding Ceremony and where do I RSVP?
- I need information about the Law School Convocation.
- Wondering about Senior Convocation (Saturday)?
- Wondering about the Cornell Chimes Schedule?
- Is there a published list of phone numbers & emails relative to Commencement weekend?
- Please be aware that Cornell University has a pet policy and it will be enforced at Schoellkopf Field as well as the stadium seating areas and campus buildings. Therefore, please do not bring your pet for the procession, stadium, or graduation events. Also, for the comfort and safety of your pet, please do not leave unattended in your vehicle.